Opening Doors To Financial Direction Since 1984.
Wedgewood Investors is an independent Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) that was founded in 1984. As one of the oldest independent firms in the industry, we have the experience and capabilities necessary to offer unbiased investment advice and portfolio management services. Wedgewood operates as a fee-only advisor, meaning we don’t charge commissions or receive trailing compensation like broker-dealers or insurance companies. Rather, we choose to sit on the same side of the table as our clients and work together to achieve their financial goals.
At Wedgewood Investors, we employ a top-down approach to stock selection; all stock selections are based on our proprietary process, which encompasses both tangible metrics such as financial ratios and share price as well as intangibles, like guidance and management. We are long-term investors that maintain a very low turnover rate within our portfolio. Wedgewood Investors utilizes our distinct process not only for the buying aspect of our portfolio, but also for the selling aspect. For us, a solid sell discipline is just as important as effective purchasing criteria.
Dan graduated from Gannon University with degrees in Economics and Japanese. His graduate studies were done at Obirin Daigaku (University) in Tokyo, Japan where he specialized in International Economics as well as the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. Upon graduation, Dan took a job in Chicago as a floor trader at the Chicago Board of Trade where he specialized in trading interest rate derivatives, primarily in the US bond markets. He held a seat on the exchange for 12 years after which he was transferred to Tokyo where he traded all types of international interest rate derivative instruments for a major investment bank. Upon his return to Chicago, he founded Associated Trading Partners (ATP), an interest rate derivative and equity hedge fund that he ran for five years. ATP was purchased by an investment bank based in London, UK where he spent the next two years running the firm. Dan eventually made his way back to Erie where he found his way to Wedgewood Investors and became became President of the firm in 2011. Outside of work, he is the proud father or four daughters (and three dogs) and spends his free time outdoors as much as possible and participates in many types of endurance sports.
Emily joined Wedgewood Investors in 2017 after receiving both her B.S. and M.B.A. from Gannon University in 2015 and 2017 respectively, where she also played collegiate volleyball. Emily’s professional career consisted of customer service and personal banking roles prior to her position at Wedgewood. She is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional and specializes in assisting her clients with investment and retirement planning. When not in the office, Emily enjoys spending time with her husband and son, camping, going to concerts, and skiing. She also serves as Treasurer on the Erie Humane Society’s Board of Directors.
Manager of Operations and Client Services
Melanie has been in the finance/accounting field for over 29 years and has worked at Wedgewood for 22 years. Before Wedgewood, she worked at Erie Petroleum as Accounting Supervisor. She attended Gannon University concentrating in Business. In her position she focuses on client relationships and day-to-day operations of the firm. She has been married for 33 years and is the mother of 3 children and has one grandchild. Most of her personal time is occupied spending time with family and friends. When she can, likes to get creative with crafting and do-it-yourself projects.
Manager of Operations and Client Services
Shelly has been in the finance arena for over 35 years and has worked for Wedgewood Investors for 25 years. Before Wedgewood, she worked in Treasury Department at Lord Corporation. She attended Villa Maria College concentrating in Auditing and Accounting. In her position she focuses on client relationships and day-to-day operations of the firm. Her hobbies include playing bocce, cross stitch, and spending time with her children and grandchildren.
Wedgewood Investors is not associated with any “big banks” as to not limit the investment families and vehicles available to our clients. This is just one of the benefits of working with a truly independent Registered Investment Advisor.
Investment Advising & Portfolio Management Services in Erie, Pennsylvania
Wedgewood Investors bases our investment management services on a list of distinct criteria for both purchasing and selling, providing our clients with what we believe to be the best investment opportunities available. Our purchasing criteria is as follows:
- Opportunity is based on a long-term approach to portfolio management. Short-term volatility and price fluctuation can create temporary price-to-intrinsic value discrepancies. Our database is set up to identify any such discrepancy and alert us to possible opportunities. If this opportunity meets our other criteria, it becomes a candidate for inclusion in our portfolio.
- The Consistency in our criteria refers to a company’s management, guidance, and long-term approach. A reliable management team that has experienced a variety of economic cycles is key to a company’s long-term viability. If a company’s management and approach to business are consistent, their share prices will reflect that consistency.
- The Numbers we watch include financial margins and ratios. Metrics such as return on equity, operating margin, and price to earnings ratio are part of our screening process, as well as things like cash flow and dividend growth. Low valuation in relation to strong financial data makes a company a candidate for our portfolio.
Our selling criteria is as follows:
- Excessive Valuation is one factor that will trigger the sale of a portfolio holding. While short-term volatility can create buying opportunities, it can also create the opportunity to take profits.
- Changes in Management or a notable change in a company’s approach can also trigger the sale of a portfolio holding. While this won’t happen automatically, Wedgewood Investors will place very close scrutiny on this holding to determine further action.
- Deteriorating Fundamentals are another trigger for the sale of a portfolio holding. If a company’s quarterly financial statements show deterioration in its key metrics, Wedgewood Investors will place the company under very close scrutiny. A minute amount of deteriorating metrics is not likely to warrant a sale, but if it continues or other selling criteria are met, we will sell the holding.
We view equity selections with a long-term investment horizon of three to five years. Within that time frame, however, price targets of six to eighteen months may be used. For more information regarding the investment management services offered by Wedgewood Investors, contact our experienced team and get started today.